• Discussing requirements with the client and other professionals (e.g architects)
• Analysing survey, mapping and materials-testing data with computer modelling software
• Drawing up blueprints, using computer aided design (cad) packages
• Judging whether projects are workable by assessing materials, costs and time requirements
• Assessing the environmental impact and risks connected to projects
• Preparing bids for tenders, and reporting to clients, public agencies and planning bodies
• Managing, directing and monitoring progress during each phase of a project
• Making sure sites meet legal guidelines, and health and safety requirements.